These are perfect served warm from the oven with butter. We often take them out with us on picnics too. I tend to make them in large batches and freeze them.
250g self raising flour
pinch of salt
good pinch of cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
100g mature cheddar cheese, plus extra for on top
150ml full fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees
2. Sift the flour, salt and cayenne pepper into a bowl
3. Rub in the butter, either by hand, or in a food processor, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
4. Mix in the cheese, then add the milk slowly and mix until you have a soft dough
5. Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and kneed lightly
6. Roll out the dough to approx 2cm thick, cut out the scones and place onto a lightly greased baking tray. Sprinkle the tops with cheese.
7. Bake for 12-14 mins until the cheese is bubbling on top and the scones are browned. Place on a wire rack to cool
Happy baking! x