You can of course vary the filling if you don't like black cherries, just use your favourite filling, the cake itself is so yummy it really doesn't matter!
- 190g/6½oz self-raising flour
- 150g/5oz caster sugar
- 2 level tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 free-range eggs
- 150ml/¼ pint sunflower oil
- 150ml¼ pint milk
For the filling
- 300ml double cream
- Tin of black cherries
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and grease and line with greased greaseproof paper the bases of two 20cm/8in straight-sided loose bottomed sandwich tins.
Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and make
a well in the centre. Add the syrup, eggs, oil and milk, mix with an
electric hand whisk and pour into the tins.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the
cakes springs back when lightly pressed with your fingertips. Turn out
on a wire rack, remove the paper and leave to cool.
- For the filling, spread the cherries and their sauce on the bottom cake, whip the cream and spread it on top, then place the 2nd cake on top. Dust with icing sugar to finish
Happy baking! x