Like so many other families, since the credit crunch we have had to tighten our belts. I am always looking for new ways to save money and so are the lovely people over at Money Supermarket.
They want to find 1000 money saving tips to help us all, whether it is reducing our outgoings or saving to afford that holiday, new car or house deposit.
And to help them out here are 30 of my money saving tips :)
- Cook meals in bulk and freeze leftovers to reduce waste
- Try having a vegetarian meal each week as meat is so expensive
- Have one or two really cheap meals each week
- Buying frozen veg will help you reduce waste
- Try buying supermarket own brands instead of top brands, the quality can be very good
- Don't be tempted by buy one get one free offers if its not something you would normally buy
- Always meal plan and write a shopping list to avoid impulse buys
- If you really can't avoid temptation, then try shopping online
- When shopping online, always search the internet for voucher codes for money off or free delivery
- Try the budget supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl - we recently tried Aldi and the quality has been great
- Buy non-perishable items in bulk to save money - just make sure it is something you will actually use!
- Freeze fruit and veg if it is close to its use by date. Frozen fruit is perfect for smoothies.
- Make extra for meals and use for packed lunches, or dinners the next day
- Use up veggies that are about to turn in soups
- I always make a tomato pasta sauce the day before shopping day and use up whatever veg I have left in the fridge
- Use natural cleaners such as vinegar and lemon juice rather than expensive shop bought cleaners
- Dried pet food often works out cheaper per meal than tinned food
- Make a picnic, grab a football and head down to the local park for a free day out with the kids
- Always take a flask of hot water out for the day with you to save on expensive cafe prices
- Look on discount sites such as Groupon for cheap days and meals out
- Take advantage of kids eat free deals in restaurants
- Go to places with a salad bar included in with the price and fill up
- Drink tap water or refillable soft drinks, restaurants make a massive profit on drinks
- Take advantage of cheap online photo processing deals
- You can buy canvas kits online and print your own photos on them, they make great gifts for family too
- Make Christmas and Birthday presents for family and close friends, or make up hampers with things you know the recipient loves
- Get the kids to make cards for family
- Look out for local nearly new sales for kids clothing
- Do toy swaps with your friends rather than buying new toys when the kids get bored
- Always shop around for bigger purchases, you can get some good deals on the internet and can also use cash back sites and collect loyalty cards
Happy money saving!